Real estate is not for the weak. We all know this. But what makes a strong real estate investor? What is it that makes one person rise above the rest and another fall flat on their face? There are certain traits, habits and characteristics that successful real estate investors have that other unsuccessful investors don’t.
So what are these traits that you should be working be working on? Here’s a list of 10 characteristics you should have if you want to be successful in the real estate industry.
- Outgoing: You’re not going to have someone at your side every second of the day telling you what to do or say. You need to take the initiative and put yourself out there. Talk to everyone. Ask for referrals. Be friendly and courteous. The more people you talk to, the more chances you have of meeting someone who is interested in buying or selling a property.
- Good Listener: You need to be able to listen to your clients. When they are talking to you, listen. Don’t be sitting there planning in your mind what you’re going to say to them. Listen when they talk. The information they share with you will help you find the right property for them.
- Determined: Never give up. You should always have multiple clients and multiple properties. When you are working, work. Stay focused and remember your goals. Even when clients decide to turn down your offers, keep moving forward.
- A Thick Skin: You will be turned down. You will have confrontations with people. It’s a part of the business. But don’t let negative comments drag you down. Stay positive. Don’t take things personally.
- Organized: Keep track of everything. This includes information about clients, potential property investments, finances, your time, etc. Set up an organizational system that works for you. Plan out your days, have to-do lists, evaluate your productivity and make necessary changes. All of these things will help ensure that you stay on task and keep organized.
- Punctual: Always be on time. You never want to be the one everyone else is waiting on. Get there first. On time is 10 minutes early.
- Excellent People Skills: You will be talking to people. You will be selling to people. Not only will you need to be able to carry on a conversation with a complete stranger but you’ll need to get them talking about private information. You’ll need to about their finances, their goals, their lifestyle, etc.
- Goal Oriented: You have to have a destination in mind. Know where you want to end up and how you’re going to get there. You need to set goals and make plans that will help you achieve you dreams.
- Hard Worker: Being a real estate investor will require a lot of time on your part. You’ll have to make sacrifices and push yourself hard. You can’t be lazy and expect your business to take off. You will have to work hard and make it happen for yourself.
- Passionate About Real Estate: You will be making this your life. You need to have a passion for the industry. You have to get excited about finding properties, meeting new people and helping those people find homes.
If you look at that list and think that you don’t meet those expectations, think again. Each one of these traits can be learned. Some people are people are born with these characteristics and others have to be taught. So get out there and become the kind of real estate investor you want to be.